This is my second to last day in NZ and I have checked in to the Best Western BK’s Pioneer Motor Lodge for my last night. I have been here for a family reunion and now it is almost time to go back to Australia. It’s been an awesome few days visiting with my family.
When I was arranging my bookings, before leaving OZ I decided to book a nights accommodation for my last night, in one of the hotels near the Mangere Airport. And I chose the Best Western Bk’s Pioneer Motor Lodge. I have previously stayed in a Best Western hotels in the US and France and have always found them to be clean, comfortable and reasonably priced.
When I arrived I explained to the receptionist that I needed to return my car to Budget that afternoon. She was very friendly and efficient and guided me to where I could fill up the car before returning it, at a nearby gas station. I certainly appreciated here advice as otherwise I would have had to fill up at the airport where the price of petrol is more expensive.
I also advised her that I would like to be picked up by the hotel shuttle bus after I had returned the car, and she gave me all the details on how to contact them when I was ready.
I had two spacious rooms to choose from for sleeping arrangements.
- The main room has two single beds, a table and chairs, two comfortable arm chairs and a kitchenette.
- The kitchenette was fully stocked with cutlery (flatware), plates, pots and pans. There is also a can opener and bottle opener, two items that are often missed in hotel rooms. There is a nice assortment of teas and coffee.
- There is a microwave and hotplates. So it’s ideal for a family who are staying and want to cook meals.
- As you can see, everything is clean, neat and tidy.
- The TV is in the main room, but I opt to sleep in the seperate bedroom. I very seldom watch TV these days, finding little of interest showing. So i set my bag up on the luggage holder.
- The ironing board is in the wardrobe.
- The bed looks really inviting, I am really quite tired after the full on, but most enjoyable days I have had.
- But it’s time for a nice hot shower before sliding under the sheets.
- The shower is spacious and there is plenty of hot water.
- Toiletries are provided in the shower.
- There are plenty of plush towels and extra toiletries on the shelf next to the wash hand basin.
- The wash hand basin is very clean and the hair dryer hangs on the wall. I love how hotels and motels nearly always have a hair dryer on hand. I remember back in the day when you had to carry such things as hair dryers and travel irons with you when you travelled.
The bathroom is quite large with plenty of room to move around in. The toilet sits in the corner and has the hygenic seal in place.
- After my long hot shower I hop into bed and the bed is really comfortable, as are the pillows. It’s not long before I am fast asleep.
- I have ordered breakfast for the 8 am so that I can get a reasonable start to the airport.
- Breakfast is inexpensive, so I do recommend you order the breakfast at the hotel as it does save you the hassle of finding a place to eat. It is also delicious and the serving is quite large. But having forgone dinner the night before, I am able to devour the lot in no time flat.
I check that I have everything packed and do a final check of the room for phone cables, when I am happy that I have left nothing plugged into sockets etc, I head off to reception to book out and wait for the shuttle.
It’s not too long and I am headed off to the airport. And you can read all about that experience at the bottom of this post here.