My traveling experience has certainly changed over the years. Back in the day when we first started travelling I was laden down with a 68cm suitcase and another carry on piece of luggage plus a handbag. Over the years we have continued to downsize even though on our last trip we took a 15in laptop in a 56cm sized suitcase. And this brings me to today.
- I now have 53cm carry on sized suitcase with Toshiba 14” lightweight laptop that fits into my Pacsafe backpack along with the iPad, camera and flat video camera, a change of clothes in case the suitcase goes missing in transit and a flat wallet that chains to the inside of the backpack. This is only a small day backpack not one of those massive ones that people take with them when they go trekking. The handbag is stowed in the suitcase.
- I used to roll my gear but now I use these fantastic pouches.
- This is a longer trip than usual so here is what have I packed – 2 pairs of long pants, I am also wearing one pair (naturally) and have another pair in the carry on backpack, 6 tops, 6 pair of undies, 3 bras, my Scottee vest coat, an alkalizing bottle for water, assorted cables and my toiletries bag with tweezers, panadol extra and rub on pain reliever. – I have a torn ligament in my leg, so normally I wouldn’t have the latter.
- In the backpack I have 1 top, 1 pair of long pants, 1 pair of undies a small toiletries bag with deodorant, toothpaste toothbrush and comb. Along with the previously mentioned ipad, camera, video laptop and a blow up pillow that also serves as a foot rest.
- The backpack I have is no longer available but I have found one that I am pretty sure will suit when I need to replace mine.
We are going for seven weeks and this will be more than enough stuff to get me through. If I need anything else I will buy it if and when I need it. I also only have one pair of walking shoes.
So we left Canberra on Monday, and because we have a morning flight we decided to stay overnight in Sydney at the Stamford Plaza Sydney Airport Hotel which of course means its near the airport, rather than do the three hour drive up early in the mornint. I have stayed at the Stamford a few times now and do recommend this hotel when you are flying out and need a hotel that is handy to the airport and has a shuttle service. We had room service and the food was delicious, after which we settled in for the night, choosing to relax.
We had to get to the airport 2 hours before our flight time of 10:50am so that meant an 5:45am rise to catch the 7:20am shuttle. We actually thought the flight was at 10am so we probably could have caught a later shuttle. But not to worry, we took advantage of the free wifi in the airport at McDonalds while we had breakfast. Expedia.com.au also provided free wifi to the Sydney airport – good on you Expedia. Those of you who follow our travels know that we book a large part of our travels through Expedia where we get excellent deals and great service.